Arkansas elementary schools get ready to dream big. Free Dream Big Read Financial Education resources are on the way and will arrive in time to celebrate America Saves Week in February 2019.
Every elementary school library in the state will receive Dream Big Read Financial Education resources thanks to a unique collaboration between children story book character Sammy Rabbit, Economics Arkansas and the Garrett Planning Network.
What do these three socially conscious and enterprising entities have in common?
We are all committed to tackling the global financial literacy crisis starting in our local communities and networks! AND, we all thrive on reading, great money habits, life-long learning and youth empowerment.
Here is a little about the global financial literacy challenge. Did you know:
- Adult money habits and attitudes are set by age 7?
- Nearly two-thirds of Americans cannot pass a basic financial literacy test?
- According to the Federal Reserve Board, four in ten Americans do not have enough savings to cover a $400 expense?
Arkansas Dream Big Read Financial Literacy Initiative
Let’s get to work changing these statistics. That is what the Arkansas Dream Big Read Financial Literacy Initiative and the collaboration between Sammy Rabbit, Economics Arkansas, and Garrett Planning Network is about. Let’s all collaborate to build kids personal finance habits, attitudes, knowledge and skills to create a better future for everyone.
What are Dream Big Read Financial Education resources and which ones are being donated to Arkansas elementary schools?
Dream Big Read Financial Education resources are a collection of stories, songs, activities and more developed by the creators of Sammy Rabbit. Their goal is to make it easy for anyone to talk to and teach kids about great money habits starting from ages as young as three years old.
Every Arkansas elementary school will receive a:
- Copy of the story book Sammy’s Big Dream that includes a unique interactive feature called Predict the Chapter Titles intended to help learners with reading comprehension.
- Links to download FREE lesson plans and an Instructor Guide
- Discount coupon to purchase additional resources at a 50% discount from retail. 10% of all purchases will be donated to Economics Arkansas to assist in executing its mission.
What is the aim of Arkansas Dream Big Read Financial Literacy Initiative?
The initiative and collaboration aim to inspire and make it easy for teachers to talk to and educate students on money at early ages and grade levels. We hope to inspire teachers, principals and schools to replicate, adapt and improve experiences like some of the following:
- Malabar Elementary School: Paired readings
- Walnut Elementary School: Dream Big Day
- Maryland elementary school tour
What are the objectives of the Arkansas Dream Big Read Financial Literacy Initiative?
The initiative and collaboration objectives are to:
- Build kids financial knowledge, habits and skills.
- Get kids on the path to financial literacy, self-sufficiency, financial freedom and security when they are young, so kids are more capable of creating great futures.
When will elementary schools receive their Dream Big Financial Education resources?
Resources will be mailed to schools in late January or early February in time to use them to celebrate America Saves Week which kicks off February 25, 2019.
More announcements on the Arkansas Dream Big Read Financial Literacy Initiative are coming soon. Do not be surprised if an Arkansas Dream Big Contest and Challenge are announced in the near future!
Contacts: Kathleen Lawson, Marsha Masters
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Contact: Sam X Renick
Garrett Planning Network
Contact: Sheryl Garrett